1983 F100 302 Vacuum Help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1983 F100 302 Vacuum Help

Andrew1983F100
So I have the vacuum diagram, read the vocabulary list, red a dozen threads and still have not figured it out

1983 F100 302 v8 carburetor

Where the heck is this three hose green tree on the drivers side manifold near the firewall on the above diagram btw all hoses cut flush

Thanks
Andrew
1983 F100 302 2WD Base Model Short Bed
Wimbledon White
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1983 F100 302 Vacuum Help

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's the VCV, top center of your diagram, that controls the EGR.

**** wait! I may be wrong****

I'm not all familiar with these older F-100's, and I see your truck has that crazy valve in the exhaust.
It may control that, and the thing isn't functional anymore, so the OP decided to disconnect it.

Sorry I jumped the gun.
I'm used to mid '80's 5.0's, but not the earlier trucks.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew1983F100
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It's the VCV, top center of your diagram, that controls the EGR.

**** wait! I may be wrong****

I'm not all familiar with these older F-100's, and I see your truck has that crazy valve in the exhaust.
It may control that, and the thing isn't functional anymore, so the OP decided to disconnect it.

Sorry I jumped the gun.
I'm used to mid '80's 5.0's, but not the earlier trucks.
I appreciate the efforts

Trying to get all Hooked back up started with the air cleaner stuff being a mess and have that almost figured out. Looking for where the second hose out of the top of the air cleaner  A/CL BI MET goes. I know one goes to the side of the air cleaner blue A/CL CWM (far left on the diagram)

Also the vacuum hose coming of the distributor is loose so I need to find the VRV triple that the dist goes to
Wimbledon White
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well... it goes through a vacuum restriction to the Cold Weather Modulator, and then on to the vacuum motor that controls the hot/cold flap in the air cleaner snorkel.
The other side goes to manifold vacuum.
(You can see it passing under the center of the diagram and going to the Hex -metal vacuum tree- in what looks like the #7 inlet runner)

The distributor likely is connected to a thermal vacuum switch on the thermostat housing or the front of the intake manifold in the coolant crossover.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It looks like somebody has annotated your vacuum diagram with a diagonal line, completely bypassing the VRV.

It obviously chooses between manifold and timed vacuum.
I'd probably just connect the distributor to timed vacuum from the carb.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew1983F100

Distributor went right to carburetor and found the manifold vacuum for the bi metal air cleaner than plugged the triple green VCV for the missing egr smog stuff

drove better and will take it for a long drive this weekend  

Thanks
Wimbledon White