1982 Ford F150 cranks but will not hit a lick

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1982 Ford F150 cranks but will not hit a lick

kydannyjoe
1982 Ford F150  cranks but will not hit a lick put a new control Mod on it but still the same
nothing on dash works and all fuses are good.Has fire to the plugs.
the key switch does crank it though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1982 Ford F150 cranks but will not hit a lick

1986F150Six
Administrator
Good morning and welcome! Please tell us a little more about your truck, such as engine and transmission. Is this a new problem? Is the problem following any recent work?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kydannyjoe
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum.    Hopefully you did do as I requested and read the guidelines even if you didn't create a thread in that folder introducing yourself and your truck.  We take seriously the way we treat each other as well as the request to describe the problem and your truck completely and in full sentences.  

It looks like your truck has multiple problems, and we will have to stick to one at a time to get anywhere.  So, let's work on the fact that the engine won't run and ignore the electrical issue(s) for the moment.  (I don't think any '82 had electric fuel pumps and the fact that there's fire to the plugs says that even if he has a computer on the truck that it has power.)

First, had the truck been running and then wouldn't start?  If so, what did you do just before it wouldn't run?  Frequently the last thing done is the culprit.

But, have you checked for fuel?  To do that remove the air cleaner, crawl up in the engine compartment, and while looking down the throat of the carb open the throttle briskly.  You should see a stream of fuel squirt into the engine.

If no fuel squirts in then there's either a problem with the fuel delivery to the carb, or the accelerator pump is bad.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
kydannyjoe,

When you have time to return to the forum, give us a bit more information and there will be members who will rally to the cause. Do all you can to facilitate by filling us in with necessary details. We look forward to assisting you!

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by kydannyjoe
I see you followed my suggestion. Did you ever check timing chain for jumping?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Thanks for chiming in.  What do you know about what's been done to the truck?

And, wouldn't a jumped chain usually result in some backfiring through the carb?  Does this one do that?

We sure don't know much about it and don't want to send him off on a wild goose chase, which could easily happen without more info.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
He verified fuel and spark, even changed the DS-II box. I suggested he check the timing chain be pulling #1 plug and bumping it until he felt pressure, then turning it with a socket and ratchet until he was on TDC, then remove the cap and see where the rotor is pointing. Since it was raining it's tail off in Eastern KY when we talked this morning he wasn't going to be able to check further and I needed to go play french yard games, mow-z-lawn.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad to see what's been done.  That will save us a lot of work.

But, how did he verify fuel?  Just wanting to make sure that he saw fuel shooting in from the accelerator pump.  I say that because I once had fuel to the carb, but the carb wasn't giving any of it up as everything in it was plugged up.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
He actually sprayed starting fluid in it, still nothing. The reason I said timing chain, I have seen them jump just far enough it won't run but not far enough to backfire. I have seen them where you could advance the distributor far enough it would start, but not run very well.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If he's got fuel and spark, there's only two things that can keep it from firing - too little compression and spark at the wrong time.  Not likely it suddenly has too little compression, so it has to be timing.

All of this discussion shows why a forum works better than Facebook for lengthy problem solving.  We'd have 100's of people throwing out bizarre suggestions.  And the next report-back from testing would be in a whole different thread.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
This is the absolute truth. In a forum the threads allow you to keep track!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"