classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
676 messages Options
1234 ... 34
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman
I'll go ahead and start a build thread. 1982 Bronco. When I bought it, it had a 302 in it. Ran and drove but had a slight knock. It went away when I was letting it idle when I brought it home. Did a compression test and #1 was dead. Bought a 91 F150 to replace the motor. That motor locked up over the winter. I bought a motor off of Facebook. Got it in and a rocker came off, had to take the head off and to replace a valve. Got it back together and its all good at the moment. Definitely needs some suspension replaced before it can be driven on the road long distances.
Here it is when it was sitting at the previous owners house.

Here is a pic of it with different rims and tires and the newest motor in it.

The intake manifold was painted blue and the valve covers were chipping. Since I had to have then off for the head, I cleaned them up and repainted. The intake I got as good as I could but I still painted it with aluminum paint.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
2004 F350 Crew Cab  -  6.0L/ZF6  -  Bulletproofed, tuned SCT X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1982 Bronco XLT

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think aluminum paint may be best (next to Gary's silver lining powdercoat)
I beadblasted my intake and coated with VHT hi-temp clear, but it is starting to yellow.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Yeah there was still a few blue flakes on the intake so it was good that I got the aluminum paint.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
I thought about doing this for a bit but then I was getting a random spark/no spark when I first put this motor in. I eventually noticed epoxy running down the wheel well from the ignition module. Then I did the HEI module. It runs off the full 12v. I used a cheap Duraspark module and cut the ends off to have a cleaner look and hook up to the facotry harness. I used a fuel injection truck coil. I took the terminal out of the negative coil connector. You have to run a positive wire to the coil and the ignition module. Only had it idling before with the duraspark but it seems smoother now. I gapped the plugs a bit more when I had the head off and it seems just fine.

Don't worry about the water, I just washed the engine bay when I took the pic.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you saying you put the HEI module in a Duraspark housing?  If not, where did you mount it?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
I've thought about taking the housing and  mounting the HEI inside there to make it even cleaner. I just cut the wires close as I could on a $15 Chinese unit and used those wires and put terminals on them so it could connect to the factory harness. Right now it is just on a stud I made through one of the holes on the wheel liner.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The HEI modules need a lot of current and really should have at least a #12 wire run to them, and preferably a #10.  Which means there should be a relay brought in by a key-on signal.

Given that much current there's got to be quite a bit of heat.  So you might want to provide some kind of heat sink for the module.  That's where the DS-module's case could come in handy.  Or mount it on some aluminum or sheet metal.

There have been reports of better performance and MPG with the HEI module, usually associated with larger plug gaps.  But one downside is that there's no retard function when starting like the DS-II has, which my previous 460 certainly needed.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
Yeah, the way I have it is that the one plug has the distributor and coil wire for the HEI. Then the red and white wires connector powers my relay for all my ignition accessories, fuel pump, choke, coil, HEI. I ran a 8 gauge wire and split it into 2 12s to feed the coil and HEI. I had a heat sink at some point and need to find it. Or buy another and find it the next day how it usually goes.

Theres a 5 pin module that pulls some timing but I'm not sure which year/model it came on.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's a 1980 Toranado.
You can ground the 5th pin to get about 4* retard in turbo applications, using a pressure switch.

I'm sure one could figure a way to close that circuit with the (I) terminal and a relay.

A heatsink and some paste is a good idea, and the old DSII shell seems ideal because it mounts right up there.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it can be made to retard, but you have to build a circuit to do it.  DS-II does it on its own.  But, HEI gives a hotter spark.  So, is it worth it?  I dunno.

But a heat sink is probably needed.  You have lots of current going in, which is good.  But it creates heat.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hotter spark how?
Full 12V into the coil?
Don't tell me more dwell, because once saturated... that's it.
Then switching to the E-coil is only putting you back at square one.
(Winding ratios, and all)

This isn't CDI.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Is a transistor a 'circuit'?
Because that's all you'd need, connected to the white wire (plus ground) to use retard.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
My understanding is that typically an HEI setup runs full battery voltage to the coil and the module sinks it.  Not sure what the E-coil does to that in this situation, so I may be wrong there.  But the typical use gives a hotter spark - from what I've read.  However, I've not done it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Weberman
It looks really good!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The green DuraSpark wire sinks the coil too.
But the DS coil will overheat if shown system voltage all the time.

People forget that battery rest voltage is about 12.5, and the starter pulls it down, but as soon as you release the key the alternator pushes it to 14.35 or whatever your regulator set point is.

So the DuraSpark coil gets about the same voltage all the time (or maybe a little less) but you need to factor actual voltage, not some idealized "12V" system
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I may do it later on to help some, might try some hot starts to see. It still starts good with the old starter, speaking of which.
Went to the junkyard the other day and got a starter and alternator. This has always been something I wanted to do since I worked at the starter and alternator shop and got the Bronco. I even made a custom alternator for my SuperDuty but the Bronco had a locked up motor back then so..needed to focus on other things first haha.

This was the only starter left on a truck that I was sure of. There was one in the back of a truck that was an auto but since I wasn't for sure that it was, I didn't want to grab it and it be for a manual trans. Plus this one looked a lot better than that one too. Searched all the trucks and all the 300 6s had the alternator taken off, which was still a shot since it needed to be the 130amp version to be the correct mount. Off to the Mustangs I went I found one. This one looked nice and easy to confirm so I did.

The brushes still have a slight flat spot on the top so this alternator hasn't been in service long at all. There was also no groove on the slip ring at all and cleaned up nice.

Starters aren't as easy to check but I still feel confident with the way it looks, fairly new and not oil soaked so.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Looks like a successful shopping day at the breakers!

You made a good score there.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good job!  The alternator looks almost new.

Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
I'm happy with it, it'll be nice to have the 130 amp. Little overkill for what I will probably do but, having more amps at idle with the 3G vs the max of the 1G will be nice. Glad the bracket setup that I have allows simple routing but, still a serpentine belt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's one of the many beauties of the 3G - as much current at idle as a 1G has a full tilt.  Brighter headlights, better blower speed, etc.  Then there's the internal regulator, which may be delayed-start, and on and on.  

1234 ... 34