classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1982 Bronco XLT Duraspark III EEC III No Spark

calperry1963
Hello to the group,

I recently bought a 1982 Ford Bronco XLT California Truck. The plan is to get it running and smogged for a family 4x4 to enjoy. Owner said it ran approx 6 months ago. Unsure if that's true or not but seams believable. The truck is in good condition and possibly has 57K without millage roll over. The truck was last registered in 2017 and has been sitting at least that long. The primary issue I am having right now is no spark. I do get one single spark when turning the key from run to off but I believe that only proves my coil/condenser are good and I am simply removing the ground when turning the key off. I have never worked on a duraspark system so please excuse my ignorance. I believe it to be a duraspark III based on what I have read online. No wires to distributor other than coil and plug wires. Due to the fact that it has been sitting so long and my inability to trouble shoot some of the components I replaced what I figured to be the most likely suspects. There was no change in problem. I have confirmed power to both red and white wires on the ICM when in run and start positions. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Replaced with new:

Battery
Coil
Condenser
Cap
Rotor
Distributor Riser Spacer
Crank Positioning Sensor
Ignition Relay
ICM (2 wire red/white 3 wire orange/black/green)
EEC III (Refurbished) Mounted under drivers seat

Calperry1963
1982 Ford Bronco XLT 4X4
351W Auto Transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1982 Bronco XLT Duraspark III EEC III No Spark

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  But somehow our joining process is broken as it was supposed to take you directly to the New Members Start Here folder for your first post.  And the reason for that is that it also contains our guidelines, and we want to make sure that you've had a chance to see them as we will hold you to them.

So, please assure me you've read them.  And, do me a favor and go to the New Members Start Here folder and introduce yourself.  There's a link to that in the email I sent you.

Thanks in advance.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by calperry1963
Assuming that you are going to do as I asked and go read the guidelines and then introduce yourself, I'm going to work on a response re your problem.

But before getting into the problem, let me ask if you live where the emissions system needs to remain operative?  You've already sunk a lot of money into replacing parts, so I doubt you want to remove them.  But you could change to a much less complicated system like the DS-II.

Assuming you don't want to do that, I'm going to suggest that you read the 1982 Engine Emissions Diagnosis brochure, and more specifically the Ignition section.  It may help as I don't think many of us have much experience with the EEC-III system.  And the diagnostics for non-starting seem to begin at Page 5-28.

But those are really detailed tests.  You've already said that the only spark you get is when you turn the key off.  And I think you've hit the nail on the head - you get that because you remove power from the ignition module, and that means it quits grounding the coil and that creates a spark.

So something is causing the ECU to not signal the ignition module to spark.  I've not spent enough time reading that document so I don't know which tests to recommend.  But wanted to get this to you ASAP and let you start reading.

And maybe someone that knows more about this than I do will come along.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
DS-III uses a crank sensor, on some it is at the front behind the balancer, others it is at the rear of the engine and triggers on the crankshaft. I posted an EEC-III test procedure a while back, Gary should (hopefully) know where it resides. Try here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/electronic-engine-control-eec.html there is a bit of information on the EEC-III systems.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

calperry1963
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thank you for the information. I will read through it tonight and try some of the ignition tests. I thought for sure replacing the Crank sensor and ICM was going to do it as there seams to be no spark signal but it wasn't the fix. I also am working on cleaning all the connections to ensure its not that. Maybe I can check wire integrity if I knew where to check for continuity or resistance values say from EEC to ICM (Orange wire maybe), or CPS to EEC if that's correct.

Yes, from what I've read online seams that most people remove duraspark III for another system. Unfortunately being in California I don't believe I have that option. If possible I would like to smog the Bronco and drive it both on and off road. If there is a California smog approved alternative I'm all ears.
Thanks again for the docs
Calperry1963
1982 Ford Bronco XLT 4X4
351W Auto Transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What little I know about CA emissions would fit in a thimble.  But I've heard that there are areas where you might not have to be tested.  I don't know if that's true or not, but if I were you I'd check locally.

The problem I see with the early systems, like EEC-III, is that they weren't very smart.  And they didn't have a nice interface like OBD-II.  But, you can pull codes on what you have.

On the link Bill/85lebaront2 sent, go to the EEC-III tab and then the Pulling Codes tab.  

Reply | Threaded
|

calperry1963
Been working my way through the ignition test steps provided. No luck yet but I have faith. I really appreciate the manual you provided. Very helpful, Thank you.
Calperry1963
1982 Ford Bronco XLT 4X4
351W Auto Transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

calperry1963
I have been through all the ignition tests provided with no luck. Some of the results recommended replacement of know working components like ICM. I even bought a new second ICM for $35 to just to be sure. Pulling my hair out with this Duraspark III. I haven't completely given up but I guess I might have to sell the truck off and try to recoup what I have into it. Maybe someone with more skills than I or out of state could benifit. It would make an awesome truck out of California with a different ignition system but that leaves me out of luck. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions so far. The step by step test were great and I thought for sure I was going to resolve the issue...
Calperry1963
1982 Ford Bronco XLT 4X4
351W Auto Transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I am really sorry to see this.  But I do not know what else to suggest as I've not dealt with one of those systems.  However, I hope others will have some ideas.

For instance, it should be possible to get it going in the limp-home mode.  But I don't know how to do that.

Having said all that, if you do decide to sell please contact me via email.  I need another project like another hole in my head, but I would love to have a Bronco.

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Under the seat should be the ecu.  Unbolt the two fasteners holding the small rectangular box from the top of it and pull it off to go into limp mode to see if you can start it that way.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I also bought an EEC-3 truck recently that was not able to run.  I was able to get it running after purchasing it and it's all still intact.  I understand why I got it for a great price now (:

Reach out to me privately and we can exchange numbers.  Maybe I can help you?

Troy
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
66gtk wrote
I also bought an EEC-3 truck recently that was not able to run.  I was able to get it running after purchasing it and it's all still intact.  I understand why I got it for a great price now (:

Reach out to me privately and we can exchange numbers.  Maybe I can help you?

Troy
That's an excellent offer!  

I certainly hope you can get this thing going.

Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
I sent an email with phone info to contact me.  I'll try and assist.  

Troy
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thank you for your offer to help, Troy!  

You truly reflect the spirit of cooperation and community that we foster, and that makes this forum so great.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

calperry1963
Thank you to everyone here who has provided assistance and documents. I threw in the towel and ended up trading the Bronco to a friend for another truck.  
Calperry1963
1982 Ford Bronco XLT 4X4
351W Auto Transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I am sorry to see that.  I hope you got a good deal and can enjoy the "new" truck.  But what is it?

Reply | Threaded
|

Jakswrld
In reply to this post by 66gtk
I have inherited this vehicle and would like to get it running and smogged.
Thanks Jack