1982 Bronco Alternator wiring mess!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1982 Bronco Alternator wiring mess!

Gsmblue
So I have a nice mess of wire going from my alternator to the solenoid, a real bad cut and splice job, see the fuzzy pic for proof!

Does anyone know if there is an off the shelf wiring harness that I can buy to replace this mess? It is really the wires from the alternator to the solenoid, voltage regulator and that large connector that hides under the regulator.  Or am I going to have to hack this apart and make new cables from my box of wires??

So in the pic the wires are as follows:
wire 1: 12 o clock position - Black with Orange stripe goes to voltage regulator
wire 2: 3 o clock Black with Orange stripe goes to alternator
wire 3: 3 o clock thick yellow wire goes to big connector under voltage regulator
wire 4: 3 o clock you can't see the thin yellow with green stripe but I think this also goes to voltage regulator
wire 5: 6 o clock Orange with black stripe goes from solenoid (battery side) to alternator and appears to be intact!

I think I got all those wires right, I looked at them last night so I am doing this from memory...

Any suggestions how to fix this mess???

Thanks!

1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1982 Bronco Alternator wiring mess!

Steve83
Banned User
That's a 1G (first generation Ford) alternator.  Go junkyarding, and find a 3G that will bolt up.  This is what they look like:

Focus on the mounting points.  Look at this & the NEXT several:

Then find a harness.  Any '93~04 F-series/Bronco should work, but there are many others.  Early harnesses have fusible link wires; later ones have a MEGA fuse.

Once you have the 3G alternator & harness, remove the old alternator, its harness, and the voltage regulator.

Swap the old V-belt pulley onto the 3G, and re-clock the 3G case if necessary.  Bolt it on, and it should work.  Gary has a writeup page here that I'm sure he'll link for you soon, if you can't find it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
I think you are describing the wiring shown below.  And what you have circled in blue is what I've circled in red.  But I don't think the wire at the 12:00 position really goes just to the voltage regulator.  It is probably the shunt and should connect to the yellow/white dot wire at the starter relay, and the yellow/white dot wire goes to the regulator.  Right?

If the connection you circled is good, and it was welded together at the factory, and if the rest of the wiring checks out as shown below, then you can tape the connection up and use it.  But, if it is a bad splice then someone has replaced the shunt and done a poor job thereof.  In that case I think you have a few choices.

First, if you want to stay with the 1G alternator, then you could repair that splice, which should not be difficult.  Or find a good harness at the salvage.  Or, I might have one.  I will look.

But, this might be the time to do a 3G conversion, as described here, and get away from that wiring.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks Steve and Gary.

Yes that is what I identified in the EVTM (that book is so useful!) I do not have the time right now to go hunt for a 3G alternator, but I do agree that change is on the cards for the summer.

The spice does not look factory, it basically fell apart on me! So I have pulled it completely apart. The wires are pretty corroded and there is not enough slack to really join them up properly.

So at the moment I have stuck a wire nut in there and taped it up, I am sure that just sent shivers down a few spines.....

But by the sounds of it I should go hunt at the scrap yard.. The local one has a few Bullnoses in it so hopefully they will let me in to pull that harness out. They just recently stopped people walking through the yard to pull stuff... so annoying.. I will try and get out there this afternoon or tomorrow morning and I will report back.

Thanks again!

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A wire nut is probably much better than what you had.  And, with plans to replace the alternator with a 3G I'd say that'll work.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
I have the 1G still on the truck, and was out in the hinterlands when the Orange/Black wire that comes out of that muti-wire factory splice & goes to the starter relay burned- apparently because of a bad connection to the fuse link at the relay- preventing a completed ignition (and cab lights and likely other things).  I bodged it well enough to get home, and later unwrapped it to the junction it looks like you found, too.

I'll eventually switch to a 3G, but decided to repair the existing. I stripped it back, cleaned with vinegar to remove the oxidation that was present and then neutralized it again, and resoldered the junction with a some new shunt wire to the starter relay, and re-wrapped it up tight.  It's been fine in 3k miles of daily driving since then, without any heat or other signs of issues.

It's tough to find new black/orange striped wire in the original gauge without buying more than you may ever use.  If you need some, I may some left over.  Email me through the profile link if you end up needing it and I'll go look.

Although my electrical load doesn't demand the 3G conversation yet, I'll eventually move it with the good feedback on the modification I see from everyone here.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Dyn Blin wrote
It's tough to find new black/orange striped wire in the original gauge without buying more than you may ever use.
Shop acdcwireandsupply's eBay store & listings.  They carry many striped colors in many gauges, and most are made in USA.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
The wire nut failed yesterday! Lol! At home luckily.

I found a bunch of wire and a fuse holder in my box of stuff so I will get on it today make a better, soldered patch to last until I have time for a 3G conversion.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If a V-belt pulley you may find the 8.25" C-C mounting 3G allows better 'swing' of the alternator.
These are found in the 3.8l V6 versions of the early-mid '90's Taurus/Sable.

If you prefer the 7" C-C, they are in the 3.0l versions.

Stripping the harness out of either should get you the charge cable and Megafuse you need.
Instructions for modifying the regulator plug are found in Gary's link or many places on the internet.

Be mindful that you may need a thin washer behind the V-belt pulley to keep it from rubbing on the alternator case.
And, you may need to bend (straighten) the adjuster arm a bit because the alternator boss is 1/4" thicker on the 3G
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Your truck is trying to tell you that it wants a 3G.  But you aren't listening!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Lol! Yep! It has been wet and cold, so this is all put off till the weekend!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Dyn Blin wrote
I'll eventually switch to a 3G, but decided to repair the existing.

Although my electrical load doesn't demand the 3G conversation yet, I'll eventually move it with the good feedback on the modification I see from everyone here.
I'm still rocking the original 40amp 1G as well...and it's all my trucks needs...and it never gets driven anyway...lol, but I will switch up to the 3G when an alternator is required.

Painless offers a harness for this swap don't they?

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30831

Finding a decent usable harness in a junkyard here is a real stretch....finding anything usable in a junkyard here is a real stretch.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
That's a lot of $ for what is **changed links and prices** worth of components (new, at retail) and I don't like their fuse holder.
The lugs should be soldered, or at least dipped in NoAlox before using a real battery cable crimper.
Or buy a made cable, as below.

But to each their own.

I've made this argument wrt their DSII conversion harness.
And that at the time had a fatal flaw in how it was assembled.

ETA:
Bussmann HMEG fuse holder         $6.99
Littlefuse 175A mega.                   $4.85
3G pigtail #PT-754.                      $7.95
A/C compressor connector.           $6.99.  (this goes to 'S' on the 3G)
12" 4Ga. Lug cable.                      $6.69
32" 4Ga. Lug cable.                      $9.50
Plus a ring terminal to connect yellow to the output lug on the 3G.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Here's both plugs for $9.65.

*** changed links and prices***.  

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F191738752053
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Jim!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Well, things got a little more tricky!

I soldered the wires back together but now when I rev the engine a little the dash clock and radio reset...

Where on earth do I start here? Do I need to test the alternator and voltage regulator?

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
When I get a multimeter on there I am getting the following voltages at the battery:

Engine off 12.6V
Idle 13.2V
2000rpm 15.4V

So clearing over voltage... is that the regulator at fault or the alternator? How can I test?

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The alternator seems to be putting out at idle, so the regulator isn't doing its job.

But that may be down to bad wiring.
If it can't sense what the voltage is in the system it will just be full field all the time.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Try adding a ground wire from the regulator case mounting screw to some of the metal body or directly to the -battery terminal.
Sometimes this will fix an overcharging problem
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks, I have pulled the regulator off and will clean it up. When I put it back I will clean the fender and the screws to improve the grounding.

I will also go back and check the splice fix I did, maybe something went wrong there..

"Eylza Dual-little"