1 ... 202122232425
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834
Administrator
That’s funny... because I suffer the same doubt 😅

Did you happen to do a re-seal of the GVOD? My whole business under there was pretty wet and gross. I was planning to reseal everything and wondered if the GVOD was pretty self explanatory? They say GVOD has great customer service, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to email me the manual, and when they did it wasn’t really the manual... it was something else. I gave up at the time. 🙄
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Not really. I took the adapter and sump off. Spent a few evenings cleaning them and then primed and painted (alumi blast). Figured I'd play around a little since the truck isn't waiting on it.

So the extent of my non-cosmetic work will be a new adapter gasket, new speedo oring, clean out the internal canister filter, clean out the sump filer, and new sump gasket (I went with the larger maximum overdrive sump).

I've read about some people rebuilding the units but didn't venture that far since there weren't any leaks and the fluid looked good.

I am just going to keep my mouth shut on the customer service and leave it at that.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Very nice! The kit I ordered from them had shaft seals and I honestly can’t remember what all. I don’t think it needs any rebuilding but leaks could be anything and everything for all I know. Mine has the deep sump too, which I think is a very good thing.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks.
I completely agree - on a truck the deep sump seems like a necessity.

Hopefully by the time either one of us needs to rebuild ours someone will have a step by step process already documented :)
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Ford F834
I was reading through the first page of this thread about the eccentrics. I have a question. Little Blue 82 is going to get front leveling springs. Will the stock eccentrics be good enough for those springs, or will I need an aftermarket eccentric?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I think you are going to need the compound eccentric aftermarket ones. I messaged with a guy who leveled his (lifted ~1.5” in front) and he said the stock ones were not enough to get it aligned. I’m not sure how much yours needs to come up to be level, but I’m guessing it may be similar.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Ford F834 wrote
I think you are going to need the compound eccentric aftermarket ones. I messaged with a guy who leveled his (lifted ~1.5” in front) and he said the stock ones were not enough to get it aligned. I’m not sure how much yours needs to come up to be level, but I’m guessing it may be similar.
Yes. Leveling springs are 1.5". Thanks for checking for me. I will order some eccentrics with the springs.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Annnnd, in my quest for e7tz7e215a it brings me full circle to Jonathan's picture of a mangled pump retainer.

This could be mine... IF it had consequently been caught up in the chain and sprocket.

Love how the guy on FSB seems to have a few of these to weld on.
Evidently they're only $5 from RSG... IF they were still available.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Boy, you sure are having "fun" with that.  Wish I had one to send you.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My bed, I'll lay in it...

So far this morning I've cleaned up both case halves, the tailshaft housing, main and secondary shafts.
(No parts washer here)

Some of the disaster I've made.

Put all the bearings in the freezer.

Found the welder (hiding under the stairs to the garage)

I'm working on getting a functional welding helmet.

And fixing the bench grinder I gave him.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
With that you may be able to weld and grind, weld and grind, and get the old part serviceable?  Good luck!!!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I doubt it.

But I need to do something, even if it's wrong.

At least the E3 part fits the pump cover.

Time to scrounge the junk pile in the side yard.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I recently retrieved some of the parts stored at my parents’ house (mostly for the water hauler) but I also grabbed some things to use on the 1981...

One of the things I am most keen on is a wire harness swap. I have the complete cab wiring out of a 1985 F150. I originally thought the truck had a 5.8 HO without a computer, but my notes with the harness just say “V8”. I sure wish I had documented this better 😩. It looks to have the same plugs used for the DSII module and distributor, but I think the feedback computers used the same connectors. I have no idea if it will work, and it’s not a small task to “try it” but that’s what I have to do. I’m frustrated enough with the 1981’s loom that I plan to go for it. I’m hoping they were modular enough that I will get lucky.

The tachometer grounds are different on the six, so that might be an issue, but I’m running a medium duty tach with the 8 terminal isolated, so I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

The 1981 has a crescent shaped connector in the engine bay near the steering column (for the bed lights, fuel senders, tank selector etc., in later trucks this was replaced by two square plugs. Knowing this change, I went to the junkyard to cut some square pig tails for my aft half wires. I would have preferred the whole back end wiring, but no luck on that for a regular cab long bed.

As I was looking for this, I began to examine the wiring for the speed control system. It sure looks like it could plug and play into any bullnose. I’m a little puzzled as to why Ford would sell a clumsy add-on instead of this (is this too good to be true?) but I pulled the factory cruise stuff from a 1984 Bronco and I’m going to attempt to add it to my 1981. It seems that it plugs in between the steering column crescent connector halves, and has another firewall plug running wires to the speed sensor and transducer and a vacuum line to the dump switch on the brake pedal:

Unfortunately I won’t have an answer on this anytime soon. I may need a special throttle cable, and I have no speed sensor. More critically, I have a ruined drive gear and no spinning cable to power a speed sensor. I did get a NOS drive gear for the BW-1345 but that’s a whole other dimension to project That’s going to have to wait a bit. But with bullnoses becoming more scarce in the yards I figured I had better grab the parts that I could when I saw them. Eventually I will have an answer on this.

Edit: I also face the challenge that the vacuum dump bump stop on the brake pedal clips onto the pedal pin. I’m guessing it will miss the switch when mounted on my hydroboost pedal, and creativity will be needed...

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
You got it on the wiring for the speed control. I've never wondered why they sold that add-on unit but that's a really good question.
I've seen them in the jy but never looked to see how all they differed from factory. I assume there is more to the differences than just the stalk vs horn controls?
Maybe easier to produce the add-on for multiple Ford models as opposed to having a supply of the speed enabled horn pads?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I was wondering if it was a hold-over from pre-1980? Or maybe the add-on was simply cheaper than the factory components? Either way, I was happy to see it unplug From the main harness in a way that could allow it to plug and play with one that didn’t have the feature. I guess I shouldn’t celebrate until I have working speed control, but it sure looks promising. Too bad I have more than a couple obstacles in the way of getting it working, but I will get there.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ford F834 wrote
I was wondering if it was a hold-over from pre-1980?
I bet you are right. Did some quick googling on the dealer cc and appears to have started in the mid "D" years.
I'd say you can celebrate a little
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Check out Big Blue’s Transformation thread on a wiring change between 81 and 85 in the speed control area. I had the buzzer going off every time I opened the door, even without the key in the ignition due to it. Had to move pins in one of those connectors.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you very much Gary. I found the Golden post!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Big-Blue-s-Transformation-tp28014p55571.html

I am a bit embarrassed that I missed the fact that you had done this... evidently there are (many) blocks of time that I did not keep up with your thread and I neglected to catch up. I am quite glad for the tip, though, and glad to know that it should work once I have a working cable and speed sensor.

Were you ever successful in finding part numbers for the main cab harnii? I’m remembering that to be a no-go. I was just hoping to find out if feedback and DSII used a common harness.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - You have a lot on your plate, so no worries.

On the wiring harness, I think you mean 14401, which is known as WIRING ASSY. (INSTRUMENT PANEL TO DASH PANEL).  Here's a snippet of the first entry for it in the MPC.

And then it goes into a listing by vehicle and engine, like this:

I don't have any of that up on the website, but can do at some point.  You need something from it?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you very much Gary. The main thing I wanted to look for was whether there was anything different between the DSII harness and ones with a feedback carb. That’s the big deal before I dive into a full wire swap.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there were at least some feedback emissions systems in 1982 (F100’s and California truck’s?) and I see no mention of it in the MPC. It says 6/8 ALL. I know the 1985 harness will be different than the 1981, but it needs to RUN. I can deal with some hiccups in connectors and wire colors, but I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, especially with the starting and ignition circuits. Based on what you posted I think it’s worth going for it. I might dive into it tonight. We are planning an out-of-state trip and are wanting to take the truck. I would sure like to ditch the janky wiring if at all possible. Speed control would be great, but isn’t going to be possible for this trip.

1 ... 202122232425