Assigned: Gary Lewis at priority
(Normal)
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1981 heater controls w dual tanks and heater cables

delco1946
Looking for an excellent condition/nos heater control for basic heat ( no vents or ac) with the dual tank switch and with the heater cables. Mines damaged and the cables are stuck! Thanks
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1981 heater controls w dual tanks and heater cables

myrl883
PickNPull had a bunch of bullnoses at the Sherwood location last time I was there. Have you checked?
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Sorry for the slow reply, just saw this. I did end up getting one at the Sherwood junkyard! Perfect? no, but it works pretty darned well. I lubed the cables that came with it to improve "slidability" of controls. For awhile i though it was damaged as sometime after starting up the truck it wouldn't even come on, but I have since determined that whenever that happens i can just jiggle the key/ignition switch and everything works -  meaning my ignition switch needs repair at some point.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it working.

On the ignition switch, the problem you are experiencing is typical for this time of year.  And that's because the lube in the mechanism and switch is drying out and the cold makes it worse.  Read what is said on the Ignition Switch tab on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition.  You'll need to clean and lube the linkage and/or switch, and that's explained there.

And, since you are just now seeing David's post I'm assuming that you didn't click "Alert me by email...", so didn't get an email notification to your own thread.  So I'm "tagging" you via the Assignment option we've recently added, which will give you an email notification of my post.  Then I'll come back and un-assign you so you won't have to do anything but respond.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I learn something new everyday :) Thanks Gary.

I'll add the ignition clean n lube to my list of jobs, although I suspect it might have to sit awhile due to time and money. Lots of other projects are on that list too lol, and working outside in the drizzling rain and cold (a PNW tradition) doesn't sound fun!