classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 F150 "Old Blue" needs a new interior

JohnnyD
The end result:

So here's what it looks like with most of the fixes visible: new dash cover, door panels, door lock slider on driver's side, floor mat (goes all the way to the back of the cab), seat upholstery, hood release cable, wind-wing rubber, door seal (arrows to accent some of these).

In addition, you can look at some of the earlier posts for the seat belts, grill fix, new glove box.

I stopped keeping track of time on this, but I didn't push and wasn't a laggard - 20-30 hrs is my estimate.

I'm a happy camper. Now my honey is happy to slide up beside me on the bench seat and cruise the gut.
"Old Blue" 1981 F150 Custom, short box, 2wd, straight 6, manual 4-speed; purchased new in NY, now happy in Oregon
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JohnnyD
I really do like the black!  The faded-out grilles that most of these trucks have are just wimpy.  Has been.  But the black really makes things pop.  

However, there are glues that can probably make those tabs stay on the grille.  I'll have to look, but Jim/ArdWrknTrk could tell us off the top of his head.  So, if you decide to fix that one, let us know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  Time for a mess of onion rings!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JohnnyD
And finally some feedback on the products I used. I bought everything from LMC Truck except the door lock slider (Dennis Carpenter). I was very impressed with LMC's service. I called once with a question and after pressing one button I reached a human that answered my question quickly and competently. Standard shipping fees were waived (after all, I did spend $1240 with them). I was expecting a week or more for delivery, but I placed my order on a Sunday afternoon and Fed Ex dropped it off as 4 packages by mid-day on Thursday. Then to ice the cake, a week or so later I received a hand-written thank you card -- who does that today! I like this place.

In terms of satisfaction, I can say that I was thoroughly satisfied with everything except the seat belt kit. Some parts were exceptionally easy to install (glove box, hood release cable, dash cover). Some fit well, but took a little wrestling with (floor mat & seat belt re-upholstery kit) and yielded a very satisfactory result. The center piece of the seat belts (where the buckle is mounted) were 4" shorter than the original and I ended up re-installing the originals, because the buckles kept getting lost in the crack of the seat. The arm rests were missing one of 5 holes in each piece, although there were 5 holes drilled in the door panels. Easily fixed with a hand drill, and the only manufacturing defect I saw in the whole batch.

Actually, I'm very surprised I didn't have more problems. I had a VW bus for 10 years and relied on after-market parts for many applications, but often the part needed to be modified, adjusted, or forced into position -- not the case for the LMC parts.

So thanks to all of you who have given me feedback and ideas on this project. I had put it off for years and now feel like I have a new truck.
"Old Blue" 1981 F150 Custom, short box, 2wd, straight 6, manual 4-speed; purchased new in NY, now happy in Oregon
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnnyD
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Trifocals?  Must be time for cataract surgery.  I sure like the results from mine.
Actually, I have progressive lenses, and have had cataract surgery in one eye. I have a friend who is a helicopter mechanic. He has a small bifocal-like button ground into the top edge of his glasses. He says it is the cat's meow when it comes to wiring and such. How many times do you look over the top of your glasses to see something up close, when the best short distance focal point is the lower part of the lenses? I think I'd get that modification if I was going to be serious about some of this stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnnyD
Gary Lewis wrote
However, there are glues that can probably make those tabs stay on the grille.  I'll have to look, but Jim/ArdWrknTrk could tell us off the top of his head.  So, if you decide to fix that one, let us know.
You assume that the broken tabs are still in existence. More problems will probably result in a new grill, but seeings how I settled for a broken one for the last 15 years, it is unlikely that this one will bother me...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I assumed that some of the tabs are still there.  Silly me.

As for the magnifying spot in the top of the lens, that would be a big help.  I've tried turning my glasses over to get the bifocals into play, but they won't stay on.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Well done!  But what brand were the seat belts?  I want to steer clear of them.

smiley image="smiley_good.gif"/>

How about these with the new [too short] seatbelts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-F-MULTIPLE-Seat-Belt-Extension-Extender-1975-1996-NOS-FORD-BRONCO-F-100-350/143156891503?epid=1411187795&hash=item2154d0cf6f:g:KsAAAOSw96FcfBoz
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting!  That would do it, although it is fixing someone else's problem by spending more money.

Reply | Threaded
|

JohnnyD
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
Well done!  But what brand were the seat belts?  I want to steer clear of them.

smiley image="smiley_good.gif"/>

How about these with the new [too short] seatbelts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-F-MULTIPLE-Seat-Belt-Extension-Extender-1975-1996-NOS-FORD-BRONCO-F-100-350/143156891503?epid=1411187795&hash=item2154d0cf6f:g:KsAAAOSw96FcfBoz
Those look like they might be the ticket. I needed 4", but 9" wouldn't be too long, I think. My old ends were not in bad shape, so until I work with them a bit, I'm going to stay put. Thanks for the suggestion.