1980 Shift Boots

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1980 Shift Boots

salans7
I am looking for the transmission and transfer case shift boots from a 1980 Bronco or F-Series truck. They are unique to the 1980 trucks because they were used in conjunction with the polished trim rings that go around the boots. The boots are much smaller than the 81+ (E0TZ-7277-A and E0TZ-7277-E) boots which will not work with the trim rings. I will attach a picture below for reference. There is no mention of a difference in the MPC as it only lists the part numbers listed above which are both incorrect. If anybody happens to stumble across an earlier 1980 with the trim rings and can snag the boots and the trim rings, I would greatly appreciate it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1980 Shift Boots

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like those!  Bummer that the trim rings won't work with the later boots.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I've been trying to figure this out for close to ten years now. It's sad that there's no mention of the difference in the MPC. Makes you wonder what else may be missing from the MPC.

I haven't attempted to modify the newer boots to match, but they still wouldn't be right because the newer shift boots have a grain and these do not.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have, I think, checked the '82 MPC that I have on microfiche.  Right?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yea, I believe we covered it already. I was trying pretty hard to find the transfer case boot when I had the brown truck and I think you checked it then. I grabbed the trim ring for it from a 1980 F350 dump truck I saw in a junkyard, now I'm wishing I would have grabbed the boot too.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
NumberDummy provided the following information:

Which 4 speed is it? New Process 435 and Warner T-18 use the same boot, the SR-OD single rail 4 speed overdrive boot is different.

EOTZ-7277-E .. Transfer Case Shift Boot / Obsolete

1980/86 F150/350 4WD & Bronco.

NOS PARTS SOURCE in Olathe KS has 1 = 913-220-5746.

No Ford dealer, no other obsolete parts vendor has any, none on ebay.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks, but that's the wrong boot. The boots I'm looking for are unlisted in any of Ford's literature that I've come across and are only available used from what I can find.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Oh man, that shifter boot is an obscure part among obscure parts...

It's hard to find a shifter boot for any of the shifters let alone a one year wonder. I have a spare 4x4 shifter boot that came out of a Bullnose Bronco, but I don't know what year it was. I'm pretty sure it is the later version.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Rembrant wrote
Oh man, that shifter boot is an obscure part among obscure parts...

It's hard to find a shifter boot for any of the shifters let alone a one year wonder. I have a spare 4x4 shifter boot that came out of a Bullnose Bronco, but I don't know what year it was. I'm pretty sure it is the later version.
You aren't kidding.

I can't even remember how many junkyards I've contacted on Ebay inquiring about the shift boots on a truck they're listing parts for, only to get no response or a "truck was crushed" response.

I can find the trim rings all day long, but when it comes to the boots, nada. I thought I got lucky when I bought my manual transmission shift lever that came with a boot, but it was from either a late 1980 or 1981 because it's different as well.