classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1980 Bronco Ranger XLT from East Texas

packagerjr
Hi group!

Picked up a 1980 Bronco last February.  Idled in Park but would die immediately in any gear.  PO wasn't mechanically savvy, so I picked it up and said I'd have it on the road by April.

Luckily, I don't ever recall saying in what calendar year that April would occur.

I've made progress, but my skill level, speed, two kids, and two working parents have made Ferguson's journey to road-worthiness much slower than expected.  But, he's going to get there by April.  One of these Aprils.

My goal is to get it road worthy as a topless ice-cream getter on those hot Texas nights.  Long-term, I'd like just enough off-road capability to ride a few trails or do some very mild rock climbing.  

Looking forward to learning from a crew much more experienced than myself, and looking forward to contributing where possible.
1980 Bronco Ranger XLT, 351M, C6.  They call me Ferguson.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1980 Bronco Ranger XLT from East Texas

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by packagerjr
Yes, welcome!

A Bronco, and an '80 at that!  Love it.  On the 351M, don't let anyone tell you it is a dog.  I had one that was really strong.  But, if you ever want to rebuild it just slip a 400 crank and pistons in and call it a stroked 351M.  

By the way, where's home?  What part of Tejas?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd love to add you to it if I had a town/city.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

packagerjr
Home is Longview, TX.

I have an assumed 400 with NP435 sitting on the garage floor.  It's locked up, but I'm hoping to salvage the crank and use some Tim Meyer hardware to turn my M into a mild beast.  But, that's one of those April completions that out there a ways.

I appreciate all the info on your site.  Between here and Bubba's M-block, much good info can be had on both engine and everything else on these trucks.
1980 Bronco Ranger XLT, 351M, C6.  They call me Ferguson.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map!

Glad you have a 400.  Hopefully it is the pistons rusted to the walls that has it locked up and the crank is still good.  That and a few TMeyer goodies will make it a stump-puller with a lot less weight than a 460.

Speaking of Tim, he plans to be at the show and swap meet here in Skiatook on Sept 21st, as do several from on here.  Why not come up to meet him and us?  I'll be created a new page for the info about the show soon.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome!